Happy New Year! Welcome to our first issue of Tales from the Crow’s Nest for 2012. Todays article is simply about New Year’s Resolutions.
A New Year’s resolution is a commitment that a person makes to one or more personal goals, projects, or the reforming of what we consider a bad habit. A key element to the New Year’s Resolution that sets it apart from other resolutions is that it is made in anticipation of the New Year and new beginnings. People committing themselves to a New Year’s resolution generally plan to do so for the whole following year. We all do it. On January 1st for some reason anything seems possible. And yet for many of us in the muggle world, our “Shiny” good intentions often fall by the wayside as time goes forward long before the year has ended. Sure there are those who make the commitment and follow through. So what are they doing that is different?
Many experts suggest that there are certain actions we can take which will assist us in having better results.
1) Be realistic. Set goals that are achievable. For instance: Making the resolution to be ruler of the universe, slightly doubtful. However training your parrot to call you ruler of the universe… well SURE …this COULD happen.
2) Be concise and specific. ( My parrot must go with me everywhere I go and say “Tempest is the ruler of the universe.”)
3) Break down Large goals into smaller ones. Large goal: Training my parrot to call me ruler of the universe. Smaller goals. A) Buy parrot B) convince parrot not to eat my face C) begin to train parrot to speak without calling me bad names… Etc
4) Make a plan. (Buy Captain Ahab’s pirate book of parrot training and read what is entailed. Talk to the other Captains in the fleet. Find out how long it took them to train their parrots)
5) Above all, aim for things that are truly important to you, not what you think you ought to do or what others expect of you. (After doing the research, you change your mind and decide to create a virtual pet monkey on your iphone, who has Johnny Depp’s voice and not only calls you master of the universe. But also sings and dances for you when your phone rings.)
Well I guess it is the thought that counts. 😉
Happy New Year everyone. Next week we will bring you the story of the lovely Daphne Tart N Sweet. See you then.